Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Saturday Spent With Readers

Being a Florida Native, I have attended a number of festivals. Today I decided to attend the 9th Annual Southwest Florida Reading Festival, a festival I have never attended considering I have lived in Fort Myers, Florida all my life. When I arrived in Downtown Fort Myers, I was amazed to see how many people were there. I was especially amazed at how many children were there laughing and dragging their parents from booth to booth.

I have never attended a reading festival as a child or at anytime in my life with my parents. My parents have never been interested in reading or purchasing a book, they have always had other things on their mind.

I was at the festival about two hours walking around; tasting some of the food from local businesses and hearing authors speak. I also got a chance to meet some native Floridian authors. One author, Brenda Jackson was a pleasure to meet. She has written a number of novels while having a full-time job. In our little meeting, she inspired me, considering I would like to write a novel or two in my lifetime.

I enjoyed the festival and everything it had to offer. Next year I see myself attending the festival and meeting a different bunch of authors and enjoying different types of food.

1 comment:

Subversive Me said...

I didn't attend the Reading Festival this year. I usually always do. Yesterday I did stop by the India Fest hosted by Alliance of the Arts. It was much smaller this year, but i did find a couple of nice skirts, a pretty saree and a lovely kaftan to lounge around in. I'm all about shopping somedays.