Thursday, April 17, 2008

OT:Dreams & Goals

Everyone has dreams and goals, but how many people have actually had a chance to live them out or accomplish them? Not very many because setting a goal is easy, but doing it may bring about many tribulations. As for dreams, they're easy to think up, but living them out is rather hard.

Have you stopped and thought about your goals lately? How you written them down and carry them with you? If you don't, you should research the benefits of writing them down. How about revisiting what you would like to happen in your wildest dreams? I have and I tend not to forget them thanks to a mentor I met freshman year of college. She told me, "Find a poem or quote that motivates you, makes you think, but above all, makes you feel good after you have finished reading it." This was great advice because I now have a poem I read once every month which helps me to accomplish many goals.


Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?

Or fester like a sore--
And then run?

Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?


I believe everyone should have a quote or poem that motivates them to succeed. If not one of the two, there needs to be something. So, if you don't have one at the moment, use the poem that motivates me until you can find something else. If you already have something that motivates you, I hope whatever it is has helped you, like mine has helped me.

No comments: