Friday, February 8, 2008

Calling All Drivers

Cruising from campus Wednesday night after attending a poetry reading, I get cut off by some guy in a black SUV going down Treeline Blvd. I thought I was going fast enough considering I was doing several miles over the speed limit. I guess 58 miles per hour was not enough. After meeting the black SUV at the light, it turned green and he sped off, continuing to cut off other cars. With all of the unsafe driving happening, I wondered where the police was because that guy driving the black SUV is a hazard to himself and others.

The point of this story is not to complain about a bad driver, but have people examine how they drive and if they feel safe on Florida’s roadways. With the increasing amount of people moving to Florida and the ongoing construction, drivers need to be aware and drive safe. Safe does not include driving excessively over the speed limit, cutting off cars and driving under the influence of anything; Safe includes being aware of the speed limit and being aware of other drivers on the road.

Although I know driving in Florida will not get better considering the increasing amount of people relocating, but I just want to know every time I crank up my car and pull out of my driveway, I will be safe.

3 comments:

Monica DiDonato said...

I've definitely experienced the craziness of driving out there. I drive from Marco Island to FGCU twice a week for class, and even though I can be considered one of the crazies myself at times, I totally feel what you're talking about.

TNLogan said...

Agreed. But I will also admit to erring more on the crazy side. Now, I've never done anything to cause an accident and there have been no close calls, but I have my moments. Still, people who drive like idiots do make me feel less than comfy.

One quick aside- THE LEFT LANE IS THE FAST LANE AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. When I run for president, enforcing that law will be my platform.

Subversive Me said...

I've heard all about the left lane being the fast lane. Does it matter when everyone driving in both lanes is going over the speed limit? I went to see what Florida had on the books regarding that:

"(2) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway."

Taken from Online Sunshine 2007 Statute 316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

huh??? Redtape speak always gives me such a headache.