Saturday, February 2, 2008

Who's the Judge?

I was surfing the web looking for other Florida blogs to read when I came across a post in the St. Petersburg Times posted today. The post read:

Here's one vote for the gay marriage ban
This reader left voice mail at the Times this morning to show support for the proposed same-sex marriage ban. John Stemberger's florida4marriage.org is counting on such sentiment to attain the 60 percent threshold needed for a constitutional amendment.

After reading the post and then listening to the phone message, I started thinking about allowing gay marriages in Florida. I have no problem with it because people can live their life however they please. The only judge to them living the way they chose should be the person they pray to. Why should people be able to say what constitutes marriage just because it says in the bible about man and woman marrying and everything else is wrong. I could continue writing on this subject forever, but I would like to leave you with a few questions that I have been thinking about.

1. If a man or woman changed their sex and appearance, then can they marry?
2. Is it possible to make yourself not fall in love with a person due to their outward appearance?
3. Are you or any man for that matter anyone's savior that can condemn anyone?

2 comments:

Todd Bursztyn said...

Good points, good rhetorical questions. I never understood why people allow themselves to be offended to the point of enacting belligerent legislation just by preferential lifestyle differences.

Christine M said...

I’m with you, Rita. I understand that there are people who feel homosexuality is immoral due to their religious faith. That religious faith, and the choice to live your own life by that faith’s principles, does not give anyone permission to use the law as a method of forcing those principles on others.