Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Native’s Teary Moment

Reading Eugenia’s blog titled Lenscapes, I laughed about the guy with the fanny pack, but also cried in less than 15 minutes about a historical site. Tears trickled down my face as I scrolled through each of the three pictures. I don’t know why such a thing could evoke such a reaction out of me.

In the Separation post, Eugenia stated,
"I could not believe what I was looking at; I almost forgot to put Doug in park. The structure, which I later learned, is protected by a historical society. A piece of memorabilia from an ignorant past some would like to forget. It is the Port Charlotte Train Depot. Judging from the signage on the outside, the building functions as an antique store during the day. But what really made my stomach churn was what still adorned the doorways."

It was then followed by the three pictures of the doorways that made me cry. They read COLORED and WHITE.

Those pictures and this post brought to my attention that segregation was happening everywhere. I am a Florida native and never once had I seen anything in the state of Florida that separated Whites from Colored folk. I always thought it was happening in other states in our country such as Georgia and Mississippi.

I cried after reading this post because people of color had to encounter the hatred on a regular basis until someone stood up for what was right. I thought about it and wondered would America still treat colored people the same if it was not for Dr. Martin Luther King and any other person who fought for equality for all?

I guess I have been naive to think that such a building could ever lay close to home. I have never heard from any of my family members about segregation or from anyone I have encounter along my 23 years as a Florida native. Thanks to Eugenia I now know and the knowing has helped me to appreciate what others have done so I could sit where I am today.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I was raised in a small town outside of Valdosta, Georgia. My Mother and Grandparents are from Spain and immigrated to the United States when my mother was twelve. I frequently visited my hometown to visit with relatives. Last summer I went to a Piggly Wiggly to purchase some food for a church potluck. I had almost thirty items and the Black man standing in front of me had about five. He insisted that I cut in front of him and upon questioning his reasoning; I was given an answer that truly changed my entire perspective on life. He said, "Because you’re white, so you can go first."

I was appalled. What about the color of my skin allows me to have line privilege? It was 2007! I could feel my heart sink in to my stomach as I left my cart and went out into the parking lot to catch my breath. I cried. Not because he mistook me as a person who would view themselves superior to another, but because I could feel the pain in his eyes. I'm not sure exactly what a man has to endure to feel he is below another, but I haven't been back to Georgia sense.

We are lucky to live in a demographic that upholds equality; A cultural melting pot of different races and societies. I'm sure this anecdote does not ease your pain, but imagine the pain of those who walk by signs like that everyday. America has to change. Why do we deem these immoral places "historical?" For most, these places are the histories we want to forget.

Subversive Me said...

No Heather we do not want to ever forget. To forget is to deny, to forget is to set ourselves up for repetition of those mistakes at a future point. What's sad is that man will probably never change his way of thinking.

Marguerita have you ever asked any of your elders about segregation in this state? Or other possible indignities they may have suffered. They may not have mentioned it to you for fear you wouldn't be interested. Or perhaps in an effort to forget themselves.

Have neither of you ever heard of Rosewood? They made a movie from the event back in the 90s i think.

http://www.rosewoodflorida.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120036/