Wednesday, February 13, 2008

No wonder you’re not losing weight

Artificial sweeteners such as Equal, Splenda, and Sweet’n Low were known by many to cause cancer, but with recent studies and the government answering questions to calm the public, they are now safe to eat and not directly linked to cancer. After reading a blog post titled “One Raw Sugar, two Splenda, and half a Sweet’n Low please,” it got me thinking about what else all those sweeteners are linked to.

Morgan writes on her blog:
“Nevertheless, being so enlightened, I still can’t help but cringe when I hear some one call a drink with nine Splenda, or eleven Equal. And even if it doesn’t directly cause cancer, you have to wonder about those rumors of unusually sized brain tumors…”
I thought about more than the tumors for a while. A few days ago I watched a 2 minute video on NBC2 News and found a study on Reuters explaining that artificial sweeteners are now linked to weight gain. The main component that contributes to the weight gain is saccharin which slows down the metabolism.

This is important why? Well, obesity has become an epidemic and in coffee houses around America people are getting fat. Not just with their coffee, but with diet drinks or anything else that contains an artificial sweetener. Once more studies are done, what else will sweeteners be linked to directly or indirectly? Why don’t we just take artificial sweeteners off the shelf and go back to regular sugar, this way people don’t have to worry about what that sweetener packet is linked to.

4 comments:

Todd Bursztyn said...

Getting back to basics seems to be the logical choice, but without a doubt the scientists will soon find some link between sugar in the raw and the likelihood of nuclear holocaust.

Monica DiDonato said...

Artificial sweetener totally grosses me out. People have even started cooking with it, making cakes and such. I can always tell it's not real sugar, and it always disappoints me.

Michelle F said...

I knew that diet soda makes you crave sweet treats but I didn't know Splenda was a culprit as well. This upsets me. I remember eating tons of sugar in my coffee when I was a teenager. (Yes, I know, young for coffee.) But now I use splenda to lose weight and apparently it does the opposite!

R.C. Price said...

I doubt it will go off the shelves as long as the general public buys into marketing strategieswithout doing their homework.