Monday, February 25, 2008

Don’t Be Centless, Pick Up That Penny

How many of you Floridians have dropped a penny and did not stop to pick it up? How many of you have stopped to pick silver coins off the floor, but left the brown ones? I have; yes I am guilty of this. A few days ago I was walking into a convenience store and saw something shiny on the floor. I stopped and bent down to collect 2 quarters, 2 dimes, and a nickel. I left the pennies because I already had more than enough jiggling in my purse.

Later that day I saw a video on Yahoo! included in a 60 Minutes series talking about the cost of a penny. I could not believe what they said the cost was, so I restarted the video and listened harder. It cost $134 million to produce only $80 million worth of pennies. To myself I thought, why in the hell are they still producing pennies. Afterwards I did some research and found another video by 60 Minutes explaining why we can not rid ourselves of the penny. Some reasons include Americans losing money because everything will have to be rounded up to the nickel and how pennies are used for charity events.

After asking some Floridians, I came to the conclusion that we need pennies. Although I must admit, I would like to rid my purse of any large amount of brown coins jiggling to my walk. How do you feel about ridding the United States of pennies?

3 comments:

Babz said...

I can't believe the US spends that much money all for a penny. I am all for the penny because if not then we as consumers will end up spending more in the long run.

Well you know the saying, pick a penny up & all day long you'll have good luck!

Michelle F said...

I like the penny. How could we possibly get rid of them all? And what would we do with them? Melt them into one enormous penny? How ridiculous!

eugenia said...

I hate pennies. I have a rule when I drop change, since for some weird reason I get embarrassed having to pick it up. If it's a dime or more, I will get it, if not, I will keep walking.